DIY Behavior Tracker!
Feb 26, 2021
Okay, confession time! I hate clutter. It drives me nuts. I also don't like my own handwriting. So many ADHD folks use post its and white boards to track all of the things and that just doesn't work for me. It's hard for me to use a system if it's not pretty. And a system is only good if you use it!
My favorite thing about homeschool is the ability to focus on life skills and habits. It's also the hardest part! With two very easily distracted boys, I can feel like I'm nagging ALLLLL day long. And then add in their easily distracted and easily frustrated mom (that would be ME!) and it's kind of a recipe for disaster.
I've tried so many things and slowly been tweaking our daily life to find a plan that works for us. Here's what I've been working towards...
- A way to track daily habits that must be done throughout the morning and afternoon in order to earn screen time.
- Giving them ownership and responsibility to control whether or not they get screen time.
- Clear way for them to know what they need to do and to feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.
- Easy on the eyes so that I'm willing to hang it in our house!
Also, I should add that creating things makes me happy. It's necessary for my ADHD brain and definitely a stress reliever for me. I love Canva and creating images and documents is a fun creative outlet for me.
- I created the images for the boys and a set for myself as well on Canva. You can change the icons, the font, the colors and anything else to make it to your liking Canva. Link to the Template
- Once you have your behaviors or habits selected and designed, print them on cardstock. I actually sent mine to Office Depot online and they printed them for me for $2. I then picked them up in the store.
- I punched holes using a 2 inch craft hole punch that I already had and then adhered them to these magnet rounds I ordered from Amazon.
- I ordered this magnetic frame from Amazon. In theory it would be cheaper to DIY it but the chalkboard and magnetic paint is kind of expensive so it was kind a wash.
- Voila! It's done. Now of course comes the hard part of actually enforcing this new system.
If you give it a try, post a photo and tag me! I'd love to hear what twists you make on it and how this system helps your family.